Safety Rules for All Floats
- NO THROWING OF CANDY AND/OR OTHER OBJECTS IS ALLOWED BY ANY PARTICIPANT IN THE PARADE. The danger is that children who are observing the parade or sitting on floats could dart/jump into the street to collect candy or items near vehicles.
- PARTICIPANTS MUST SIT BACK FROM THE EDGE OF THE FLOAT and NOT GET OFF THE FLOAT UNTIL IT STOPS AT CALVIN LEETE SCHOOL AT THE END OF THE PARADE.
- PARTICIPANTS MAY NOT SIT WITH THEIR FEET NEAR THE WHEELS OF THE FLOAT.
Guilford Public Schools Float Event Information
- All schools in the Guilford Public Schools are invited to enter the Annual Guilford Public Schools Float Event. A stipend of $125 will be provided for each Guilford Public School that enters a float in the event. Floats carrying sanctioned musical groups from a school in the Guilford Public Schools will receive the stipend as a musical group and not be judged as a float or receive a float stipend. Each float in the event must have the year and the name of the school displayed on both sides of the vehicle.
- Any decorations may be used as long as they are NOT cut from living plants, trees, etc.
- Props should be original (not purchased) with the exception of flags, balloons, etc.
- Schools may not use the same props from year to year.
- Automobiles, small trucks (pickup-type trucks), and trailers towed behind vehicles must be totally decorated. Towing vehicles need not be decorated. The tractors of semi-trucks do not need to be decorated.
- Guilford Public Schools floats will be judged on the use of space, not necessarily on size. There is a 12-foot height limitation from the ground to the highest point.
- Guilford Public Schools floats will also be judged on creativity, student workmanship, the use of props and costumes, and an overall design that fits the theme.
- By 9:00 a.m., Guilford Public Schools floats and their participants must be in the position they were given in the Line of March or they will not be judged. Marshals with red vests will assist entries in finding the proper place in the Line of March and to direct the float when to start. Since the streets near the parade are closed at 9:00, all students should arrive just before the judging, as they will have a long wait until the parade begins.
- Mature behavior is required.
- Floats will be left intact until after the parade.
The announcement of the awards for the floats sponsored by the Guilford Public Schools will be made as the school floats begin the parade route, so those along the route can be aware of the award.
***IF A LOCAL TRUCKING COMPANY IS VOLUNTEERING THEIR VEHICLE FOR YOUR GROUP, PLEASE CONTACT email@example.com, BEFORE SEPTEMBER 1st TO SEE IF THE TRUCKING COMPANY HAS A CERTIFICATE OF INSURANCE ON FILE. BEFORE THE PARADE, LARGE VEHICLES, INCLUDING FLOATS, ARE ASKED NOT TO TURN AROUND IN WHITFIELD STREET, BUT TO GO THE TOWN DOCKS TO TURN AROUND OR USE LOVER'S LANE FOR ACCESS TO THE END OF THE PARADE.